Thursday, August 2, 2012

(Entry 10) Off the mold

There she is looking all sexy...

Finally she has flipped, and I've hardly done anything since my last post.  I made those two saw horses today (which are awful and wobbly without shims under one leg, booo), I set in the last two ribs that I couldn't reach when she was on her belly, and took these pictures.  I know it's tough work, but someone has to do it.

I placed a temporary brace in the center of the canoe to stop her from caving in on herself, but that was a waste of time as it is just sitting there with no pressure on it (good stuff).

Everything looks very straight and true to my eye, but how good are they?  Tomorrow I will fix those last ribs into position with epoxy, I will cut and glue in the "inwales" into place.  The inwale will go on along the top rail on the inside of boat and sandwich the ribs between the piece that's already there (the outwale), then she is called a gunwale.  After that's taken care of, the thwarts will need to be cut and put into position.  The thwart is just like that temporary cross brace I have in the middle there, but there will be two of them in this canoe.  It just keeps the sides of the canoe from caving in or warping out of shape, and they add a ton of stiffness to the boat.

She is getting close, but I'm still very far away from the end.  So much work has yet to be done.  So much to do before she can see the water.

I was actually thinking about my next project today and trying to create some plans for it, imagine that, not even done this project and trying to start another.  Haha!

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment