Sunday, August 26, 2012

(LAST ENTRY) - And it worked...Was there any doubt?

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for joining me during this build, it was an adventure.  I hope it has inspired you to start your own project, regardless of how out of your grasp it may seem.  Just go for it!  

At any rate, the boat floats, and it cuts through the water like a shark on steroids.  It continues to move forward even if you stop paddling for a while.  If the wind is blowing to your back, whoo-wah...free ride baby!  It handles well, and goes where I want it to (and I haven't been in a canoe in about 15 years or more).   

It is about 28 pounds finished, about 8 pounds over what the plan says it will run in at, and I knew it would be.  That was my error in wood selection that caused the weight-gain.  Next time! 

The paddle worked well, but it was absolutely too short, again, my mistake.  I will get some new wood and make the paddle the length it was originally supposed to be, but now I know I love that style of paddle.  There is hardly any resistance, it is quiet, and it does this sweet little popping thing just before the paddle comes out of the water (I can't even begin to explain it).  

It was a great experience and I can't wait to start my next boat project, it will have to wait until the end of winter though.  Epoxy doesn't cure very well in the cold, and my garage is cold. 

I will focus on building furniture, bows (for archery), and maybe I'll finally get my fishing net project on the go.  Who knows. 

Anyway, thanks again.  If anyone wants to come take the boat for a spin, or wants to see it on the water, just drop me a line.  Cheers...











    

6 comments:

  1. Awesome Pictures. Love the one of you from behind with your arms in the air. You should make it your profile pic on FB. I am so proud you got it done before the end of the summer. Hope it brings you luck with fishing! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That was actually the plan for that photo, too bad the light was in the way though. Fishing for me is over for the season, it's no fun for fly fishing when the water is this warm. It is going to be Tonya's boat for next year, she said she had lots of fun floating and would love to take the kids out, I'll have my new one. Thanks again, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful boat. Work of art, I must say. Have you had any issues with your new boat? Typically, canoes have some sort of boyancy tank or bags to keep it from going under. Does this boat need any boyancy tank or bags? I guess I am concerned about capsizing and how this boat will handle. Theoretically since this boat is so light, you can just flip it before too much water gets in. Your blog has been very helpful in understanding the process. My kit should be here in about a week. If you don't mind, I would like to ask for your advices and help while I am building mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for the compliments, it was lots of fun to build. Yes, you can contact me with questions throughout your build, reply with your e-mail and we will correspond that way. I don't have any buoyancy tanks or bags of any sort in the boat, it is o'natural so-to-speak. The boat is a little tippy the higher you sit, I'm glad I didn't construct a seat. If you're sitting on the floor boards it is very stable, I plan on constructing a very thin (2") pad for more comfort to sit on. It is a very light boat and when trying to get in during high wind conditions, don't let the boat go or it will blow across the lake in seconds, lol. It has been through some two foot tall waves with no issue, and I had no fear of possible capsizing. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this! It is beautiful and I really enjoyed reading your progress with it. I would love to build one of these or something similar someday. Now that a bit of time has passed, are you still pleased with the boat?

    Again, thanks a lot for writing and photographing your adventure.

    Cheers,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome, and thank you for you reading. I hope it has inspired you to build a boat of your own.

    Building one of these boats is a fairly simple process, and simple hand/power tools can be used for the majority of the build. The folks at gaboats.com provide all the necessary materials (minus the wood and glue) to build your own.

    I really enjoyed the boat, but have since sold it due to a move that left me without the necessary room to store it properly. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to build another one, it was a lot of fun, and the finished product handled incredibly well in the water. It was an incredible experience, I highly recommend giving it a whirl on your own.

    If you have any questions during your build, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

    Thanks again,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete