Friday, August 17, 2012

(Entry 13) Okay, maybe I'll launch next weekend instead. ;)

Welcome back, maybe I will write a few more posts before ending this blog with the boat launch.  Yesterday I applied one very thick coat of Varnish/clear coat to the canoe hull, it finally decided to dry for me.  I'm hoping that after I apply a few more coats it will become a little less patchy looking (never clear coat in poor lighting, lol).  If it doesn't fix itself after a few more coats, I'll apply a white outdoor paint and chalk it up to another valuable lesson learned.  I finally read the information on the can of Varnish, it recommends waiting at least 3 days to allow it to properly cure (it also made mention of being careful with whatever you coat for the first week as it is still curing), I guess I'm waiting.  =(

I'm going to add a Dacron piece to the front and back, just to reinforce the area at the stem that was cut and then folded over upon itself (I'm sure it's water tight, but for how long?).  The doubled up material will also add a touch of abrasion protection in case I run her up on the beach by accident, I may even triple it and add a strip all the way down the center.  That's the good thing about this material, get a hole in the canoe, just cut a patch and clear coat it on and your problem is solved.

There is my two paddles.  I ended up settling for Poplar lumber, I know it's a terrible choice for marine lumber as it has to rot resistance, but it's cheap.  I used Poplar for the longitudinal stringers on the boat, I may as well use it for my paddles too.  I had originally asked for Basswood, but Craftmen Hardwoods doesn't carry it in a 1 1/2" thick stock (they will get it, but I don't want to wait), so I settled for the much heavier Poplar.

The dimensions of this rough cut board are 1 1/2" thick X 9 3/8" wide X 8' 2" in length, it weighs about 300 pounds and cost $27.  Tonight before I drop that lovely table saw off at my buddies house (thanks for letting me borrow her), I will rip that board right down the center to give me two pieces at roughly 4 1/8" wide.  I will build one paddle and set the other piece of lumber aside until I know what I did wrong with my first paddle, and then I'll build a second with my new skills.

Well, that's about all I can think of to write down.  I can't wait to get this boat in the water and see how many mistakes I've made that I didn't realize were made.  I'm hoping I can start the new boat soon.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment