Saturday, July 14, 2012

(Entry 5) My back is sooo strong. Here's my Strong-back/Box Beam

Before I start talking about this picture, I'd like to apologize for my photography skills and how retched they are.  Having said that, in my defense the object in the picture is 15 (yes, fifteen) feet long.  Welcome to my garage Miss. Box Beam, together we're going to rule the world.  Blah, blah.  This is the Strong-back that will eventually hold the station molds for me to start applying stuff . Yeah that's right, I don't know the name of the parts of a canoe so I'll call it "stuff".  Sooo, the next part is cutting the lumber for the canoe.  The 16 foot 2X10 in the background laying on the floor will eventually become the canoe, just regular ole construction-grade spruce.  Surprisingly enough the plan calls for spruce, pine, or Douglas-fur.  I was going to upgrade to cedar, but the spruce was about $15 and the cedar would have been in the $40 range (and I needed a saw blade more, shhhhh don't tell anyone that I'm cheap).  The piece of ply-wood in the background is called mahogany underlay in these here parts there boy, and that is what the station molds will be cut from, it was a whooping $15.  My bill for the day was $60, the plans and materials (Dacron, kevlar, heat n' bond) cost me a small fortune at $142.50 + about $30 to have it shipped from the USA, and the waterproof Varathane ran me about $20.  I've got about $252.50, plus a few odds and ends here and there, that's a pretty cheap canoe if you ask me (but please don't ask, I've already said it).  Anyway, next step is a nap, oh yeah!  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment