Thursday, July 5, 2012

(Entry 2) Tool update/progress.


So just a quick little update type thing.  I started cleaning up my shop a little bit tonight, and just thought I'd share a bit about some tools, some awesome little tools.  I bought a bunch of these 3" nylon clamps the other day at KW Surplus, ten of them to be exact.  They were 88 cents each, how can a guy on a budget refuse such a beautiful price on something that cost so much more in other stores?  They have a ton of clamping pressure, they were cheap, and they'll come in real handy for all types of duties around the shop...Right, sure they will, they will come in real handy, as toxic-kindling for my rocking chair fire that I'm having later tonight.
 I decided to rig up a little organizer on the wall to store these beauties.  A thin board screwed to the wall so these could be clamped to it, that should do the trick.  Simple enough plan, or so I thought.  Apparently, 88 cents buys nothing but shrapnel in KW Surplus.  I know they're an old military surplus retailer, but come on guys, get real.  I think I may actually talk to a lawyer about this, I'm sure I have a case.  The clamp on the right (in the picture) shot off of my wall mounted clampo'ganiza so fast, it nearly took my head right off.  The clamp on the left, suffered a much less dramatic death, it just popped, that was it.  I figure if I can't get a clamp that works for 88 cents, I should at least get a good show, no?
Wooohoo, what ya got there Brad?  That is my second failed attempt at my other hobby I'm working at.  Wooden trout nets.  Turns out that if your spoke-shave isn't sharp, it takes massive chunks out of the wood instead of nice ribbon-like shavings.  Who knew?  It was going to be such a nice net made of ash and Indian rosewood, or something like that.  I'd still like to build these, it's just proving to be a more difficult task than I had imagined.  Designing the template for the net and handle to join as one with fluid lines is just not as easy as I had anticipated.  I'm not sure how to take the image I see in my head and put it down on paper with a compass, protractor, and a ruler.  Hmmm, help?   
 
So this is what I got accomplished tonight in the short time that I was working, and not dodging shrapnel.  As you can plainly see, I'm not too fussy on organization, that leads me to believe that I'm impatient, and that my canoe project is likely doomed.

I think what I'll do is start taking Yoga or something of the sort, I hear it is very good for the mind and body.  Errr, not.

Have a good day, or night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment